Week 12 Lab: EmpoWord

"We're all stories, in the end."
- Steven Moffat, Doctor Who

The chapter begins with this quote and a breakdown of the four possible meanings. My favorite bit from this page, besides the Who reference, is the part at the bottom that says "Our individual stories have no definite conclusion until we can no longer tell them ourselves." I really like that and it rang true for me. I am nearly constantly thinking about what legacy I will leave and what people will think about me when I'm gone. The chapter goes on to explain a bunch of stuff I learned in my Freshman English course in high school. I really like on page 88 where it shows how a story is set up, with events happening like this _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. But when telling the story, we should only cover certain events like _    _ _ _    _   _. I found this super interesting and the visual really helped me learn. The most interesting part of the chapter is definitely the bit where they provide activities to better understand the concepts. On page 102, there is an activity where the author prompts us to write dialogue covering two people talking, but not explicitly, about a secret. The part that piqued my interest was the "Consider Ernest Hemingway's 'Hills like White Elephants' as a model." I have never read that, so of course I did some digging. It's a story about a couple talking at a train station restaurant, and they are talking about an operation. After some preliminary googling I found out it's about an abortion, which makes sense given the activity. I had fun researching the story and it makes me want to get back into reading short stories. 

.     .     .

biblio

EmpoWord

.     .     .

image

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels )

.     .     .

Comments

Popular Posts