Reading Notes: Babbitt Jataka Tales, Part A

The two stories I responded most towards were...

...drumroll

the measure of rice 

this one definitely got me
I love how it's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo because language is a social construct and doesn't really mean anything
so the new peasant valuer says the 500 horses are worth a measure of rice
but what does that mean??
I was really hoping he would respond to the question of "if you have valued 500 horses as a measure of rice, what is a measure of rice worth?" with "500 horses." 
Oh that would've really gotten me.
But instead he says the city which is still pretty good.
I just think it's a commentary on greed and the value of someone being good at their job. 

the quarrel of quails

so this one was pretty good too
I had already read some of this section, mainly the turtle focused ones
(I really love turtles and my mom got a russian tortoise for christmas)
so this one was second favorite to those
I just think it represents my sorority
conflict within a group can easily send a whole plan crashing down
the quails were quarreling so they died
it was over a simple mishap but escalated to a mini civil war
this is important and reflects a message of unity and the value in sticking together and remaining logical



BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Ellen C. Babbitt

Comments

Popular Posts