Week 4 Lab: Tropes


1. Too Dumb to Live
  • This trope page talks about the typical character than no matter what advice is given, they just continually make the wrong choice. 
  • The photo on the page really makes me laugh and reminds me of a scary movie moment. 
  • One thing that wasn't really touched on was how this trope almost always applies to women. In really any story if there is a character continuously making the wrong decision, even ultimately to their peril, it is usually a woman.
  • I was disappointed this wasn't touched on.
2. Naive Newcomer
  • I had initially chosen this trope because I wanted to include a person in my storybook that was a newcomer. 
  • The term this page uses is "audience surrogate" which is really cool and really helps me depict what the role this character is in. This newcomer can ask questions about context without sounding weird or stupid  This is beneficial in the story by giving exposition for the reader.  
3. First-Person Smartass 
  • I absolutely loved this trope article. 
  • It also utilized the term audience surrogate as the smartass sort of connects to the reader through humor.
  • I appreciate this trope because it allows the narrator to sort of point out flaws in the story and make fun of the characters as the story goes on. 
  • The only issue is that the smartass narrator has to be sort of dumb and at least not know more than the reader. 

Comments

Popular Posts