Feedback Strategies

1. Five Reasons to Stop Saying Good Job

This article was very interesting to me, but the aspect I found most intriguing was the part about "Good job!" actually taking away a child's ability to enjoy the moment. I can totally see it though. Like learning to wait to be happy until that person actually says that you did a good job. Never quite having a moment of heck yeah.

2. Be a Mirror

Although I really appreciate what the article was trying to get across, I though the whole "mirror" thing was a stretch. Like I get the mirror reflects without judgement. But we are still judging. By commending them on their process and giving tangible things to look back on you are still judging their work and deeming those things better than what ever else they did. I just don't really see the point of the article I guess besides just reiterating what the student did? Which would annoy my students.

In the classroom, I love giving feedback and really trying to get the kids to understand everything I say is to better them. When it comes to my peers, however, I have a hard time getting the courage to give them feedback. I am consistent with positive feedback and always trying to be genuine and never say anything if I don't truly mean it. I just have a hard time critiquing people. 


Comments

Popular Posts