Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Section B

NOTES:

Stream of Consciousness:

So the only story that I really felt connected to would be the one about Viradha. I immediately saw the rakshasa stuff and was pulled in. This guy gets even more physical description than the rakshasi that I read about yesterday. I'm sure this just says something about still trying to respect women in some sort of odd way. Also, Sita is displayed as an ABSOLUTE WEAKLING as she begins to "tremble from fear like a plantain tree shaken by the wind." Like COME ON homegirl lets buck it up. But of course here's Rama to save the day. So basically it's a long winded explanation of him and Lakshmana trying to fight this all-powerful rakshasa to no avail. Finally the decide to just trick him into this stupid pit. THEN, NO JOKE, ONCE THE RAKSHASA FALLS IN HE FREAKING THANKS RAMA FOR BESTING HIM SO HE CAN NOW GO TO HEAVEN. I cannot make this up people. This reminds me of that sequence in the movie Mean Girls where they're all talking about the main "mean girl" and this girl goes something like "One time she punched me in the face, it was awesome." That's how these people are feeling about Rama, the sweaty teenager. HE IS LITERALLY KILLING THEM AND THEY'RE LIKE SWEET DUDE THANKS. 

( Viradha )

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Source. The Ramayana, translated by Manmatha Nath Dutt


Comments

Popular Posts